The last few months have been some crazy ones (and where did 2016 go, btw?!), but I’ve been getting some positive results and making some good progress, overall. As I try to drill down into photography, propmaking and 3D work (all three? Yes, all three. I know, I’m insane), I’m taking a moment to look back over the last few months and see where things are going!
First up, the last of the BR85 project!
BR85HB-SR Battle Rifle
I finally finished up this project and shipped out the last two by about May or so, pushing the entire project to nearly two years!
Day 6 was a little all over the place while I waited for different sections to dry or cure, but I seemed to get a fair amount done. The grip and receiver section got all the love, and now are getting pretty close to complete and ready for a first priming.
First, I got the new files out and set to smoothing/sharpening up the magazine bevels.
Building basically done. Filling and fitting today! First up, Dremelling down the parts of the forward scales enclosing the mag well. While the front core is supposed to be 1″ wide uniformly, the table saw made a diagonal cut for some reason on that one piece, so that the bottom part ends up closer to 3/4″ wide. The mag well is 1″ wide, so it pops the slotted scales up when inserted into the front end.
Where I smoothed the receiver scales into the mag well, it took down the mag well’s thickness a little towards the front, so there wasn’t too much to remove. It just needed maybe 1/32″ or less off the inside of each scale.