Once again, the purpose of this series has been to demonstrate some individual, self-contained elements of a build that translate well to other builds and materials that elevate a build beyond simple assembly and paint.
This time, it’s mag catches:
Even shorter again, clocking in at under 15 minutes!
It would indeed have been up by February as promised last time, but some people decided they wanted to pay me to do stuff, so it’s late. Understandable, right?!
The scope, safety selector and paint are being axed. The scope because the LED system in there isn’t sufficiently different to the ammo counter to warrant a video, the safety selector because they ended up being less functional than I’d like and the NN-14 has a much better version so demonstrate when I get that far, and the paint because honestly, the surface prep is 95% the same as for moulding, and the actual paint schemes themselves are pretty obvious in their execution (just slow and tedious!).
Onwards unto better videos on newer, better projects!
The idea of this series is to focus on a handful of specific, fairly self-contained parts of the build that can easily transfer to other prop builds, kit assemblies, whatever. To look at some of the more “functional” aspects of a prop build that can be used to improve a project beyond good assembly and paint. Check it out:
This one even manages to be about 35% shorter than my usual running time! 😀
One idea I also had was to make an L-shaped slot so that the handle has a point to catch for an empty/missing magazine, and then could be flipped forward after “reloading”. Since the BR85 seems to have a closed-bolt firing position or a floating bolt assembly- it gets fully racked back-and-forth after replacing the mag in the game- this wasn’t really relevant to this build, but there may be some other weapons (particularly pistol slides) that operate that way in-universe.
For a pistol, you’d need a separate lever that could flip the lever (connected to the slide) back up into the main guideway. Alternatively, a spring-loaded crossbow-style wedge, that allows you to rack the slide back, and then pops up into the main cylinder in front of the returning piston head. The wedge itself would be directly connected to the release lever that would allow you to depress it back out of the cylinder. May be easier that way, since you wouldn’t need to allow a floating, rotating bolt to connect to a linear slide. Anyway, random ideas aside…
The last few months have been some crazy ones (and where did 2016 go, btw?!), but I’ve been getting some positive results and making some good progress, overall. As I try to drill down into photography, propmaking and 3D work (all three? Yes, all three. I know, I’m insane), I’m taking a moment to look back over the last few months and see where things are going!
First up, the last of the BR85 project!
BR85HB-SR Battle Rifle
I finally finished up this project and shipped out the last two by about May or so, pushing the entire project to nearly two years!
While I continue to work on the Blender particles-of-particles post (I maybe sorta kinda forgot how I did it so I’m having to reverse-engineer it), here’s a video I published yesterday on installing RGB LEDs and building a diffusion box for light-up screens on prop builds!
Slowly but surely, I’m getting the hang of the YouTube thing. Bit late now, since it’s not 2010. #behindTheCurve
As you can see, there isn’t much in the way of updates on the BR85HB, though that’s not due to a lack of progress- in fact, it’s almost complete and ready for moulding, just a couple weeks of work left to do:
If you want to see how that’s been coming along, check out the 405th update thread here: http://www.405th.com/f21/halo-4-br85hb-sr-pic-heavy-first-major-project-43577/. Major recent updates are around pages 4/5/6. The lack of blog updates is primarily due to the fact that building a piece like this mostly consists of doing the same general things over and over again but in slightly different shapes, not exactly a grand learning experience on every part like I’d originally anticipated.
Anyway, that’s not what I want to write about today, as you may have inferred from the title.
Needless to say, over the course of this build, I’ve learned rather a lot about the use of Bondo body filler. It’s an incredibly useful material, and unsurprisingly a staple in the prop and cosplay maker’s arsenal. I’ve seen the question of how it’s used come up numerous times over the last few months, and since the specifics are usually glossed over in favour of general advice, and I’m now in a position to be able to offer a fairly comprehensive beginners’ guide, it seems right to do so and pay it forward.
So, here we go with my typical Bondo workflow, going from bare surface to the beginning of surface prep for finishing.